Middle School Science Bowl at Brookhaven Lab, March 7
March 4, 2009
EVENT: One hundred students representing fifteen middle schools from Long Island will participate in a Regional Science Bowl competition, which consists of two contests: a fast-paced question-and-answer tournament designed to test students’ knowledge in life, physical, and earth sciences and mathematics; and a model fuel-cell car competition that challenges students to design, build, and race model cars. Media representatives are invited to attend, although the event is not open to the general public due to space limitations.
WHEN: Saturday, March 7, from 9 a.m. to approximately 5 p.m.
WHERE: Berkner Hall, Brookhaven National Laboratory. The Lab is located on William Floyd Parkway, one-and-a-half miles north of Exit 68 of the LI Expressway.
DETAILS: The Regional Science Bowl at Brookhaven Lab is part of the National Science Bowl® competition coordinated by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. In 2008, more than 3,000 students participated in 36 regional events throughout the nation. By participating in this “Jeopardy”-style academic contest and model hydrogen fuel-cell car competition, students are encouraged to excel in science and math and to pursue careers in those fields.
Similar to a sporting event, the academic competition is set up in a round-robin format followed by a double-elimination final tournament. Four teams will emerge as winners in this contest by answering the most questions correctly. Winners of the model fuel-cell car challenge will be determined by the best of three time trials. All winning teams will receive medals and a trophy, and all participants will receive T-shirts and certificates. The first-place team in the academic competition will be eligible to participate in the National Science Bowl®, which will be held in Washington, DC, from April 30-May 4, 2009. A list of participating Long Island schools is provided.
All visitors to the Laboratory age 16 and over must bring a photo ID. Media representatives who plan to attend the event should notify Diane Greenberg, 631 344-2347.
Participating Schools at Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Albert G. Prodell Middle School, Shoreham, NY
- Bay Shore Middle School, Bay Shore, NY
- Bellport Middle School, Bellport, NY
- Commack Middle School, Commack, NY
- Eastport/South Manor Jr. High School, Eastport, NY
- East Woods School, Oyster Bay, NY
- John F. Kennedy Middle School, Port Jefferson Station, NY
- Lawrence Middle School, Lawrence, NY
- Long Island Lutheran Middle School, Brookville, NY
- Longwood Jr. High School, Middle Island, NY
- Our Lady of the Hamptons, Southampton, NY
- R.C. Murphy Jr. High School, Stony Brook, NY
- Rocky Point Middle School. Rocky Point, NY
- South Ocean Middle School, Patchogue, NY
- West Hollow Middle School, Melville, NY
2009-10920 | INT/EXT | Newsroom