- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Open House Summer Sundays 2023. Free! 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
July 23, 2023
Dazzling Discoveries | July 23
Science Spectacular Laser Light Show
Presented by Prismatic Magic
Delve into the mysteries of light, color, and perception in an exciting laser light show that proves science is cool. This show is suitable for all ages.
Noon • 1:30 pm • 3 p.m. (1 hour)
Lighting a Path Through the COVID-19 Pandemic (TALK)
COVID-19 needs no introduction. But during this talk, meet Sean McSweeney, a researcher who had a part in fighting it, using x-rays from NSLS-II to find protective mask materials, develop antiviral agents and targets for vaccines, and more. This talk is recommended for those ages 10 and older. Presented by Sean McSweeney, National Synchrotron Light Source II.
11 a.m. • 2 p.m. (30 minutes)
National Synchrotron Light Source II
Tour the experimental floor at the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II), which produces light 10 billion times brighter than the sun for cutting-edge research. Participate in hands-on science fun at interactive stations! Become a "junior operator" by running our model synchrotron. Peer into microscopes, see a toy solar car in action, build a candy crystal, and watch exciting demonstrations with liquid nitrogen.
* Tour starts in Berkner Hall Room B. Bus transportation is provided to NSLS-II. Arrive by 2:30 p.m. for the last bus to the facility.
Hands-on Science, Math, and Art
Enjoy science- and math-based activities like line art, shape building, and paper mat weaving.
Bus from Berkner Hall
Walk from Berkner Hall
at the Science Learning Center
at the Center for Functional Nanomaterials
at the National Synchrotron Light Source II
with the universe's basic building blocks
- Free, no reservations needed
- Gates open 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- All activities, subject to change, are first-come, first-served
- Visitors 16 and older must bring photo ID
- Wheelchair accessible
- Located 1.5 miles north of LIE Exit 68