- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
- Science Highlights
- Users' Place
- Apply for Access
Laser Injection Vacuum Chamber
Located on beam line #1, the “Smith-Purcell box” has 140 liters of usable volume. Due to its size, it is mounted on a fixed platform. Hosted experiments include AE13 Smith- Purcell effect, AE03 Laser Grating Accelerator, AE20 Staged Electron Laser Acceleration (STELLA), and AE02 Inverse Free Electron Laser accelerator (IFEL).
Primary operational features include:
- Removable lid with single large laser input window (able to accommodate up to 6” diameter CO2 laser beam), multiple flanges for windows & electrical feed through(s).
- Large internal volume and mounting surface for laser optics.
- Dedicated 500 l/s ion pump and one 200 l/s turbo pump auxiliary port.
- Operates in the 10-8 Torr range.