Updates for the User Community
inputs from the CFN User Office
April 21, 2016
Spring is here, and that means warmer weather is on its way. This time of year is an excellent opportunity to remind our users that shorts and open-toed shoes and sandals are not permitted in the laboratories. Also, traffic at BNL will be more active with runners, walkers, and bikers, so please follow the posted speed limit and use caution when driving around the site.
Upcoming CFN Deadlines
- The next submission deadline for new proposals is May 31, 2016. Proposals submitted during this call will be considered for the September–December 2016 cycle.
- After-hours access for the current cycle will expire at midnight on April 30, 2016. If you need to extend your after-hours access for the next cycle, please call or email your CFN Point of Contact for authorization. Please remember that working with hydrofluoric acid and exchanging pyrophoric, flammable, or toxic gas cylinders are not authorized during after hours.
- The Annual NSLS-II & CFN Joint Users’ Meeting will be held on May 23–25, 2016. To register or to obtain more detailed information about the program of events, please visit the meeting website.
- For several Sundays every summer, Brookhaven Lab welcomes members of the public to its site. This year, “Summer Sundays” comes to the CFN on July 17. The day will include a tour of the CFN, opportunities to speak to CFN scientists, and hands-on activities for adults and children.
- The CFN will hold its triennial DOE review on August 23–25, 2016. In preparation, we are gathering a list of all user publications and awards/honors from 2013 through 2015. Please send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Publications may also be submitted through the CFN Publications Database.
- Access to CFN laboratories is through authorized badge access only. Piggybacking onto someone else’s access is a violation of CFN rules. If you lose access, contact the CFN User Office.
- Users and guests are reminded that when driving on-site, you must comply with New York State traffic laws, including maintaining a valid driver’s license, wearing a seat belt, obeying the local speed limit, adhering to hands-free cell phone use, and avoiding texting while driving.
- If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the CFN User Office or any of the CFN staff. We are here to help and to ensure you are safe when conducting your work.
I want to take this opportunity to thank our user community for their continued support of and engagement with the CFN. Please continue to keep us informed of your awards, honors, and publications. Publicizing your discoveries and professional achievements helps us raise the profile of CFN, attract top scientists from around the world, and secure ongoing funding.
User Administration and Outreach
2016-6337 | INT/EXT | Newsroom
Parting Message from Emilio Mendez
A Message from Nathalie Bouet
Updates for the User Community
News and Notes
Research Highlight: Nanocrystals Within Nanowires
Research Highlight: High-Efficiency Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting through Graded Doping
10 Questions with Lihua Zhang
CFN User Spotlight: Frances Ross Studies Nanowire Growth
Subscribe to iCFN
Sign up to receive iCFN in your email inbox.