- For Users
- For Industry
- News & Events
- Staff Directory
User Accounts and Data Access
Researchers come to the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) from all around the world to study everything from batteries to tomato plants. To enable this research and deliver measured data to these scientific users, NSLS-II works closely with the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) Information Technology Department (ITD) to create user accounts and provide access to that data.
Account and Login Requirements
In order to run beamline experiments and access data at NSLS-II, you will need an ORCID iD and will be given a computer account, called a “BNL domain account.”
As part of your guest registration with NSLS-II, you will need to enter your ORCID iD persistent digital identifier.
- To sign up for an ORCID iD, please go to the ORCID website.
Your BNL Domain Account
For new users, your BNL domain account is automatically created when your BNL guest appointment is approved. Once your account is activated, it will remain active until your appointment or training expires.
When the account is created, BNL’s Information Technology Division (ITD) will notify you by email. This email contains instructions for setting up the account.
- As soon as you receive your account information: Follow this link to change your password using “email@example.com” in the field that says "firstname.lastname@example.org" and the temporary password, provided in the email, in the field that says "Old Password.” Passwords should be kept private. No one at BNL should ever ask you for your password.
- Changing your password? Please follow these instructions to change your BNL domain account password.
- Can’t find your login credentials: If you have an active BNL guest appointment and valid training, but did not receive a BNL domain account (or misplaced the email from the Information Technology Division), you can request one from ITD via the “Submit Account Request Form” button.
- Unsure about whether you already have a BNL domain account? Contact the Information Technology Division at email@example.com or call (631) 344-5522.
Access to all NSLS-II computers now requires two-factor authentication (2FA). To log onto a NSLS-II system, you will need to use both your BNL Domain password and respond to a "push" from BNL's "Duo" service. Currently NSLS-II users need to sign up for both "Duo Commercial" and "Duo Federal" to access lab-wide and NSLS-II-specific services. Both services use the same app on your phone or tablet.
Enroll in Duo
IMPORTANT: You must enroll in both.
The workflow with either is identical, the only visible difference is in the text of the push notification. We anticipate that the Lab will completely migrate to "DUO Federal" in the near future to simplify the enrollment process, please bear with us during this transition.
If you have questions or need help, please contact BNL's Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (631) 344-5522.