Senior Scientific Associate, Interface Sciences/Catalysis, Center for Functional Nanomaterials
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Center for Functional Nanomaterials
Bldg. 735, Room 2042
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Currently leading the Low Temperature (LT) STM and NC-AFM/HR-AFM facility at CFN and providing world-class expertise for HR-AFM imaging together with all related experimental services and operating the microscope. Always open to new ideas and establishing new collaborations.
Now (2020) for over 20 years project manager and lead programmer of GXSM. A open source SPM (and more) control software. Providing a DSP + FPGA hardware based data acquisitions and instrument control platform. A world wide in use SPM control solution with easy acessible and comercial available hardware running non proprietary and user accessible software. Further providing online support and help with any custom project as possible.
- Wide range of fundamental physics.
- Surface science and epitaxy, and working at "single" molecule and atom scale.
- Basic knowledge of many Surface Science tools: LEED, SPA-LEED, XRD, XSW, AUGER, SEM, FIB and ultra clean surface preparations in UHV.
- Expert for various kinds of Scanning Probe Microscopy: STM, AFM, NC-AFM and HR-AFM in particular at low temperature (5K) plus related Instrumentation R&D.
- Fundamental chemistry with particular recent interest in molecular structure and sub molecular binding phenomena in complex hydrocarbons.
- Beyond Physics: Knowledgeable in electronics, analog and digital, hard- and software design, FPGA/Verilog, C/C++, Python, familiar with basic "AI" tools, web design, mysql and more. Experienced in CAD design and precision machining, milling, etc.
Most recent research includes:
- On surface synthesis of novel functionalized GNR nano ribbons using custom designed pre cursor molecules. Structure and electronic property evaluation using ultra resolution NC-AFM and STM together with STM based spectroscopy. (Collaboration with Univ. Nebraska)
- Pushing and exploring the limits of NC-AFM imaging of various aromatic molecules with focus on intra molecule binding details. (Collaboration with Exxon Mobil)
- Developing hard- and software algorithms for optimized Scanning Quantum Dot Microscopy (SQDM). (International Collaborations, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany and Haward)
- Work on deploying AI methods for autonomous SPM operations.
- Developing novel NC-AFM frequency detection algorithms and FPGA based hardware implementations in the context of exploring novel advanced measurement techniques.
- 1995-1996: Leibniz University Hannover, Germany, Diplom Thesis, Physics
- 1996-2000: Leibniz University Hannover, Germany Ph.D., Physics
- 2005-present: Associate Scientist at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Center for Functional Nanomaterials
- 2003-2005: IBM Zürich, Zürich Research Laboratory, Post-Doc
- 2001-2003: Colorado School of Mines, Colorado, Post-Doc
- Teeter JD, Zahl P, Mehdi Pour M, Costa PS, Enders A, Sinitskii A (2019) On-Surface Synthesis and Spectroscopic Characterization of Laterally Extended Chevron Graphene Nanoribbons. ChemPhysChem 20:2281–2285. doi: 10.1002/cphc.201900445
- Zahl P, Zhang Y (2019) Guide for Atomic Force Microscopy Image Analysis To Discriminate Heteroatoms in Aromatic Molecules. Energy & Fuels 33:4775–4780. doi: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b00165
- Wu R, Drozdov IK, Eltinge S, Zahl P, Ismail-Beigi S, Božovic I, Gozar A (2018) Large-area single-crystal sheets of borophene on Cu(111) surfaces. Nature Nanotechnology 14:44–49. doi: 10.1038/s41565-018-0317-6
- Larson AM, van Baren J, Kintigh J, Wang J, Tang J-M, Zahl P, Miller GP, Pohl K (2018) Lateral Standing of the Pentacene Derivative 5,6,7-Trithiapentacene-13-one on Gold: A Combined STM, DFT, and NC-AFM Study. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 122:11938–11944. doi: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b03633
- Li M, Chen J-S, Routh PK, Zahl P, Nam C-Y, Cotlet M (2018) Distinct Optoelectronic Signatures for Charge Transfer and Energy Transfer in Quantum Dot-MoS2 Hybrid Photodetectors Revealed by Photocurrent Imaging Microscopy. Advanced Functional Materials 28:1707558. doi: 10.1002/adfm.201707558
- Shekhirev M, Zahl P, Sinitskii A (2018) Phenyl Functionalization of Atomically Precise Graphene Nanoribbons for Engineering Inter-ribbon Interactions and Graphene Nanopores. ACS Nano 12:8662–8669. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.8b04489
- Jnawali G, Klein C, Wagner T, Hattab H, Zahl P, Acharya DP, Sutter P, Lorke A, Horn-von Hoegen M (2012) Manipulation of Electronic Transport in the Bi(111) Surface State. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.108.266804
- Zahl P, Wagner T, Möller R, Klust A (2010) Open source scanning probe microscopy control software package GXSM. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, Nanotechnology and Microelectronics: Materials, Processing, Measurement, and Phenomena 28:C4E39–C4E47. doi: 10.1116/1.3374719
- Sutter P, Zahl P, Sutter E, Bernard JE (2003) Energy-Filtered Scanning Tunneling Microscopy using a Semiconductor Tip. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.90.166101
2012 George T. Hanyo Award (AVS) for ``outstanding leadership in the development of state-of-the-art, open-source software — called GXSM or the Gnome X Scanning Microscopy project — for data acquisition and analysis in scanning probe microscopy and spectroscopy.''
Patent: "Defining a pattern on a substrate - US Patent 7315367. (Filed at IBM Zurich)"