General Information

Top of Page

NSLS ESH Highlight #18

How to Dispose of Glass

Date: November 9, 1999
Editor: J. Aloi, N. Gmür

Broken Glass (clean)

To protect janitorial and waste handling staff from injury, carefully place clean broken glass into a rigid outer container (‘ice-cream container’ or a cardboard box) marked with the words "broken glass". Seal the container shut with tape. Glass packaged in this manner can then be placed into regular trash receptacles. Broken glass may also be placed in the labeled, red plastic container located in the Bldg. 725 west roll up door area.

Fluorescent Bulbs

NSLS staff members and users should not change out facility fluorescent bulbs. Contact Wally Hughes (x2138). The electricians will do it for you. If you find or want to dispose of a loose fluorescent bulb, contact Wally Hughes. If you have a broken fluorescent bulb, follow the instructions above for ‘Broken Glass.’

Other Lights and Bulbs

Evaluate the lights for hazardous constituents (lead, mercury, etc.). If no hazardous constituents are present, treat the lights as solid waste (trash). If hazardous constituents are present, treat the lights as hazardous waste and contact John Aloi (x7018) to assist in disposal.

Beverage Containers (unbroken)

Dispose in dedicated recycling containers located in lunchrooms, mailrooms and near vending machines.

Lab Glassware

Dispose in dedicated lab glass bags available in the Bldg. 725 west roll up door area.

Manufacturer’s Chemical Bottles

If empty and unbroken, they can be discarded as ‘Lab Glassware’ or used to collect, store and dispose of waste chemicals (see John Aloi, x7018, for assistance). If broken, see ‘Broken Glass’ above. If bottles or any glassware contained acutely hazardous chemicals, they should be disposed of as hazardous waste (see the list that is posted in the Bldg. 725 west roll up door area or call John Aloi, x7018). Also see John for disposal of glass contaminated with radioactive material.


Sharps (syringes, hypodermic needles, scalpel blades) must be collected in sharps containers available from BNL stock (#K60601) or from John Aloi, x7018. When full, contact Marlon McAvoy (x6389) for disposal.

Helpful Information

For useful information on how to dispose of a variety of other materials, go to the "How do I Manage This Waste Stream?" web page located at Any questions concerning how these suggestions may apply to the NSLS should be directed to Keith Klaus (x6399) or John Aloi (x7018).