2021 Benefits Open Enrollment Period
Open Enrollment begins Tuesday, November 3, 2020, at 9 a.m. and ends on Friday November 13, 2020, at 5 p.m.
Elections will be effective January 1, 2021.Virtual Benefits Fair
Now is the time to consider your needs, review your benefit coverages, and maybe make some changes to your benefits for 2021 — and it’s also the time when you need to reenroll for certain benefits if you want them to continue in 2021. The benefits you have in 2020 might not make sense for you in 2021. Your situation may have changed this year or be changing in 2021. During the Open Enrollment period, you can make changes to many of your benefit coverages.
Only a few changes have been made to the benefit programs for 2021, such as Aetna Medical Plan premiums, the maximum amount you can contribute to the Aetna Medical Plan 4 Health Care Savings Account, and any Reimbursement Account limits modified by the IRS.
This year, our Open Enrollment period will be a little different.
- Our Benefits Office staff will be available by phone, online, or you can make an appointment to meet with them at the Lab.
- We will not have a benefits fair on site this year. Instead, we will have a virtual benefits fair on our Benefit Programs website with online videos and other materials from our Aetna Medical Plans, the Delta Dental Plans, the EyeMed Vision Care Plan, the PayFlex Reimbursement Accounts, and TIAA, where you can learn about the plans during the Open Enrollment period.
This website includes details regarding changes to the plans, plan designs and contributions, the ALEX benefits selection modeling tool, and instructions for making your Open Enrollment elections*. We’ve added Frequently Asked Questions for quick reference.
BSA Benefits & You A downloadable version of the contents of this website.
Questions? The Benefits Office is here to
help. Contact the Benefits Office staff at
(631) 344-5126, Ext. 3724, or Ext. 2877.
* Retirees on Medicare, this website is not for you. Your medical plan is administered through the exchange managed by SelectQuote Senior. Visit the SelectQuote Senior website or call SelectQuote Senior at 1-866-479-8317 (press Option 1).
About Open Enrollment
During Open Enrollment, eligible employees may enroll in or drop medical, dental and/or vision care coverage, change from one medical or dental plan to another, add/drop covered family members, and/or sign up for reimbursement accounts and the vacation buy plan. All changes made during the Open Enrollment period are effective January 1, 2021. It is important that you make an election regarding your medical coverage for 2021 during the Open Enrollment period. Outside of this period, you may only make changes to your coverage when a Qualifying Event occurs.
During the Open Enrollment period, you may also sign up for the health care reimbursement account, the dependent day care reimbursement account, the transit commuter reimbursement account, the parking reimbursement account and/ or the vacation buy program. Your 2020 elections for these programs do not carry forward from 2020 to 2021, so if you want to participate in these programs in 2021, you must enroll during the Open Enrollment period.
See the list of changes to the programs for 2021.
Choosing a plan
Open Enrollment elections can be completed online for medical, dental and vision care benefits, reimbursement accounts, and the vacation buy program. Online enrollment requires that you have a password for PeopleSoft HR (the same system used for electronic time reporting). For those without access to PeopleSoft HR on the Brookhaven Lab internal network, computer kiosks are available in the Human Resources lobby in Bldg. 400.
If you do not choose a plan
- Your current medical plan elections (including contributions to the Health Savings Account if you are enrolled in the High Deductible Health Plan) will remain in place for 2021
- Your current dental plan elections will remain in place for 2021
- Your current vision care plan elections will remain in place for 2021
- You will not be enrolled in the reimbursement accounts for 2021
- You will not be enrolled in the vacation buy program for 2021