Employer Assisted Housing Program
The Employer Assisted Housing Program provides eligible employees with monetary assistance to purchase a home on Long Island.
Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) / BNL is partnered with the Long Island Housing Partnership, Inc. (LIHP) to assist qualified employees by providing financial assistance and housing counseling. BSA/BNL will contribute up to $5,000 net in down payment assistance to purchase a primary new or pre-existing single-family residence, condos, co-ops or manufactured residence in Suffolk County or Nassau County.
The funds are a grant with no expectation of repayment as long as you fulfill the terms of the grant you receive. The requirements mandate that you stay at the purchased residence for a term of 5-10 years dependent on the program you qualify for. At that time, the grant will be forgiven. Early departure from the residence will require repayment of a portion or all of the grant funding.
You are required to take a homebuyer counseling course. Counseling sessions will be provided by the Long Island Housing Partnership.
Some individuals will require more time than others to meet the requirements of Long Island Housing Partnership. Therefore, to be fair to all participants, all contributions by BNL will be on a “first to close on a home” basis.
How to Apply
If you read the LIHP Employer Assisted Housing Highlights and are interested in applying for this program, you should complete the BNL Employer Assisted Housing Application and forward it to Christina Australie in Building 490. Once received, your application will be forwarded to Long Island Housing Partnership, Inc. for consideration.
All full-time employees of BSA/BNL are eligible for the Assisted Housing benefits. If you and your spouse are both employed by BSA/BNL, only one employee can use the Assisted Housing Benefits. NOTE: Term/Temporary positions are not eligible. The program is not restricted to first-time home buyers but you are ineligible if you currently own a home.
It is strongly recommended that you review the LIHP Employer Assisted Housing Highlights to determine if you meet their expectations prior to applying for the BNL Employer Assisted Housing Program. You can also contact the Long Island Housing Partnership at (631) 435-4710.
In order to apply for this benefit you must meet the following criteria
- Be a household that is purchasing a house within Suffolk County or Nassau County.
- Provide tax returns for the last three (3) years and four most recent pay stubs.
- Be a Family or Individual that will occupy the property as a Principal Residence.
- Not have entered into a contract to purchase a home prior to BSA/BNL participation in the program.
- Have an annual income meeting the income guidelines for the categories in the Suffolk County Employer Assisted Housing Program Highlights.
- Meet the asset test of not having more than 25% of the median price home on Long Island in liquid assets (not including pension or retirement accounts) remaining after required down payment by applicants.
- Be able to secure a mortgage from a recognized lending institution.
- Attend an individual mortgage counseling session and group rehab session through the Long Island Housing Partnership, Inc.
- Meet all other program guidelines as defined by funding sources.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident.