- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Vision Care Programs
Recognizing that eye examinations are an important part of health maintenance and can detect eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, and other serious health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, hypertension, and more, Brookhaven Science Associates offers its employees a comprehensive vision care program.
A comparison of the vision care benefit programs: Aetna, EyeMed, and National Vision.
Aetna Care Coverage
For employees, retirees, and their dependents enrolled in one of the Aetna medical programs, coverage is provided for medically necessary vision care based on the terms of the program. The Aetna programs also provide coverage for one routine eye exam at no charge every 24 months if you use an in-network provider. Routine eye exams are not covered out-of-network.
Aetna provides discounts for eyeglasses and contact lenses through the EyeMed vision care network. For more information about Aetna's vision discounts, log in to Aetna's website at www.aetna.com and click on "Discounts" under the “Stay Healthy” section. To find a provider, go to www.aetnavision.com and click “Find a Provider”.
Complete this form if you are using a provider that is not a participating provider in the Aetna network.
National Vision Program
Anyone with a Brookhaven National Laboratory ID badge (and their family members) can obtain discounts for vision care, eye exams, eyeglasses, and contact lenses through National Vision, Inc. located in the Walmart stores located at 750 Middle Country Road in Middle Island, NY and at 901 Blvd. East, Yaphank, NY. Contact them at the number below. You do not need to be enrolled in one of the Aetna medical programs to take advantage of this discount program, though National Vision, Inc. is a also participating provider in Aetna's vision program.
National Vision, Inc.: (631) 345-0065
A summary of services provided in their vision center, fees and hours of operation.
The EyeMed Program
To encourage employees to get routine eye exams and to defray the cost of the purchase of eyeglasses and contact lenses, a voluntary vision care program—through EyeMed—is available to all benefits-eligible employees.
Participants who enroll in the EyeMed vision care program can use in- or out-of-network providers and will pay a copay or receive reimbursements for many services and purchases. EyeMed is a national provider of eyecare services whose in-network providers include Walmart, Target Optical, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and a large network of independent providers. EyeMed also has many online, in-network options such as ray-ban.com, contactsdirect.com, lenscrafters.com, targetoptical.com, and glasses.com.
You may enroll in this plan during the annual Open Enrollment period or if you experience a Qualifying Event at any time during the year.
Visit enroll.eyemed.com Summary Plan Description
All regular employees of Brookhaven Science Associates who work at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate in the Vision Care Plan on the first day of active employment. (An employee is a “regular employee” if classified and treated for federal income tax purposes by the Employer as a regular full-time or regular part-time employee of BSA, even if the Employer's classification is later determined to be incorrect.)
The following members of your family are also eligible for Vision Care Plan coverage:
- Your spouse (which may include your same-sex spouse) to whom you are legally married.
- Your eligible same-sex domestic partner and that partner's eligible child(ren). If you are living in a jurisdiction that recognizes same-sex marriage, you must be married and provide a copy of your marriage certificate. If you live in a jurisdiction that does not recognize same-sex marriage, you must provide a copy of your (a) civil union registry, (b) domestic partner registry, or (c) a completed Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and provide proof of financial interdependence. Additional information is available through the BSA Benefits Office. Children of your eligible domestic partner must meet the same criteria for a “child” under the Medical Plan.
- Your child(ren) up to the end of the calendar month of his or her 26th birthday, including your natural children, adopted children and stepchildren.
- Coverage may be continued for your eligible dependents who are age 26 or over and who are or become mentally or physically incapable of earning their own living while covered as an eligible dependent, by submitting proof of the child's incapacity within 31 days from the date of incapacity or 31 days from the child's 26th birthday, whichever occurs first. The insurance company will review the information submitted and will either approve or deny such coverage.
Note: This is only a summary of the coverage through the plan.
2024 Vision Plan Contributions
A look at the specific benefits of the EyeMed Plan and some how-to tips for members
A summary of services covered by the EyeMed vision care program and co-pays for each
See clear all year, using the resources library of preventative care. Includes interactive features and tools.
A list of diagnostic vision services commonly used by diabetic patients and the co-pays for each
Allowances for contacts, glasses frames, and lenses
Purchasing Both Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses in the Same Year.
A concise list of steps for enrollees to use their EyeMed benefits
Complete this form if you are using a provider that is not a participating provider in the EyeMed network.
See a savings with Lasik plus providers.
Access useful tools to best take advantage of your vision benefit.