Printable PDF Version
NSLS ESH Highlight #38
Following BNL Bicycling Regulations
Date: June 15, 2005
Editor: N. Gmür, G. Van Derlaske
All bicyclists must follow the New York State traffic laws while riding a bicycle on BNL property:
- Wear a bicycle helmet: it is Laboratory policy for all cyclists on-site. The bicycle helmet must conform to
the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Bicycle Helmet Standard.
Note: All helmets issued off-the-shelf from Property & Procurement Management conform to this standard. Only staff who
ride Laboratory-owned bicycles are issued these helmets. Staff riding their own bicycles must purchase their own helmets.
- Ride in the same direction as the flow of traffic; keep right where practicable to allow vehicles to pass.
- Ride in a straight line and single file.
- Stop at stop signs and red lights.
- Use a light, reflectors, and reflective clothing during darkness.
- Wear bright clothing during the daytime.
- Ride to the right if you are moving slower than other traffic, unless you are turning left, passing another bicycle or vehicle, or avoiding hazards.
- Use proper hand signals when turning, stopping, or changing lanes.
- Use extra caution when it is raining, and allow extra time to stop.
- Cross railroad tracks at a right angle to the tracks.
- Walk your bike when using a crosswalk.
- Do not wear headphones on both ears while riding.
- Keep your bike properly maintained so it is safe.
- Do not drink and ride.
- Ride defensively.
- Be alert for road hazards.
- Watch for cars at cross streets and driveways.
- Obey all traffic signals.
- Keep a safe distance from parked cars and watch for car doors that may open.
- Give pedestrians the right-of-way.
Failure to follow these regulations may result in a citation being issued for a traffic violation and in
disciplinary action. See the SBMS section Issuing
Traffic Citations for more information.
Whether you cycle around the BNL site for business or pleasure, the BNL bicycle-safety policy notes that you must
wear a bicycle helmet and that the helmet must conform to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard.
For those using BNL-issued bicycles, helmets meeting the CPSC standard can be ordered fromlab inventory. The helmets
are sized as follows:
|K-70300 - small/medium (fits 20-3/8" to 22-7/8")|
|K-70302 - medium/large (fits 21-1/2" to 24-3/4")|
|K-70304 - large/extra large (fits 22-3/4" to 24-3/8")|
Note: Bicycle helmets are a restricted-inventory item, so you must be authorized by the NSLS ESH Coordinator
or Building Manager to order one through the PeopleSoft pick-ticket system.