- Guide to BNL
Electric Vehicle Charging Program
All Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) employees, guests, users, and visiting researchers can use the electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at Brookhaven Lab. There are two options: Level II charging stalls operated by ChargePoint, a third-party contractor, or Level I charging outlets managed by the Brookhaven Employees' Recreation Association (BERA).
ChargePoint (Level II Charging)
- Fully automatic third-party charging stations from ChargePoint. Users pay with the ChargePoint app on their phone.
- These units are installed primarily for the purpose of charging government-owned EVs. However, when not in use by a government vehicle, BSA employees, guests, users, and visitors may charge their personal EVs.
- The government-owned EVs have charging priority at all times.
- Located at buildings 555, 734, and 744.
- Employee, guest, user, visitor charging 7 a.m.-5 p.m. No overnight charging allowed.
- Pay for the actual kWh charge, plus a BSA administration fee of $.12 per charge.
- If you don't already have an account with ChargePoint, create one by visiting https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/join/.
- EV charging agreement required and will be provided to you by ChargePoint.
BNL Electric Vehicle Charging Permit Program (Level I)
- Located at buildings 400, 535, 725, 918, 1005S, and 1008E.
- Employee, guest, user, visitor charging 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eight hours per day limit and no overnight charging.
- Can charge from six locations on the Lab site.
- Utilize convenient 120 VAC GFI outlets.
- Pay a monthly fee (currently $17.56) to cover estimated usage and administration costs.
- Estimated usage assumes 145 kWh/month at $0.06/kWh.
- Administration fee of $8.82 per month.
- Pay in advance through the BERA Store. Cash or check only—no credit cards.
- EV charging agreement and permit required.
ChargePoint Stalls (Level 2)
Electric Vehicle Charging Permit (Level 1)
You are encouraged to sign up to this mailing list to receive updates regarding the various charging locations, i.e. additional locations, any closures, etc.