- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
- Guide to BNL
Air, Land, Rail and Water Transportation
Some hyperlinks on this page will take you to information that is not maintained by Brookhaven. Brookhaven is not responsible for any inaccuracies or other errors contained therein, nor does it constitute an endorsement for any of the services listed. By clicking any remote or offsite hyperlink, you acknowledge that you have read and agree with this statement.
Please verify rates at the time of booking.
- Long Island MacArthur, (ISP) Ronkonkoma,
1-888-542-4776 (Airport Information)
- John F. Kennedy International (JFK)
(718) 244-4444 (Airport Information)
- LaGuardia (LGA)
- Queens, NY
(718) 533-3400 (Airport Information)
- Newark International (EWR) Newark, NJ
(973) 961-6000 (Airport Information)
- BNL Travel Office - (official BNL travel only!)
- Cross Sound Ferry
(Orient Point, NY to New London, CT)
(631)323-2525 Long Island / (860) 443-5281 New England
- Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
(Port Jefferson, NY to Bridgeport, CT)
1-888-443-3779 / (631) 473-0286 Port Jefferson, NY
New England Tours (631) 473-5138
- Fire Island Ferries
(Serves the 7 Western towns of Fire Island from Bayshore, NY)
- North Ferry (Shelter Island, NY to Greenport, NY and the Long Island North Fork) (631) 749-0139
- Viking Fleet Ferry (Montauk, NY to Block Island, RI; New London, CT and Martha's Vineyard, MA) (631) 668-5700
- Colonial Taxi – (631) 589-7878 / Sayville
- Lindy’s Taxi
- Patchogue (631) 654-3456
- Mt. Sinai (631) 444-4444
- Sunset Taxi – (631) 281-2227 / Shirley
- Village Taxi – (631) 588-1055 / At Ronkonkoma Train Station
- Also does shuttle between Long Island McArthur Airport and Ronkonkoma Railroad Station (LIRR).
Tunnels and Bridges
- Long Island Railroad -
The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) serves all of Long Island with service to New York
City's Penn Station; connections are available from there to
Amtrak and regional lines.
The closest LIRR Station to BNL is in Mastic/Shirley; however, trains arrive and depart more frequently at Patchogue and Ronkonkoma. To find schedules and more information, call (718) 217-5477
To get to the Mastic/Shirley LIRR station, take William Floyd (Rte. 46) south of the Lab, past the LIE, Route 27 and Montauk Highway. The parking lot is on the left just after the railroad tracks.
To get to the LIRR Ronkonkoma station, take the LIE to Exit 60, go south, and follow the signs. Parking here is sometimes scarce on weekdays, but the trains run nearly every hour and the trip takes only an hour and a half. Or, take the Lab shuttle service.
The Port Jefferson station has fewer trains that take more time than Ronkonkoma trains, but the station is closer to the Lab than Ronkonkoma. Take Rte. 46 north to its end at Rte. 25A, following it for 15 miles and taking the right fork toward Port Jeff. At the T intersection, take a right; the station is on the south side of the tracks on the right side of the road. Passengers from Port Jeff need to change trains once (get off, stand at the same platform, get on the next train) to get to Manhattan.
- Long Island Railroad Schedules & Fares
- Long Island Railroad Map
- NYC Subways
- Metro-North Railway
- Amtrack 1-800-872-7245