On-site Housing Procedures, Policies & Responsibilities
Brookhaven National Laboratory housing is for the temporary accommodation of personnel appointed to
participate in Laboratory programs and not for the long-term or recurrent short-term use by regular employees.
Assignments of housing are limited to the periods indicated below and are subject to the availability of
The following specify the conditions of assignment of Laboratory housing. Requests for extensions beyond
the periods stated below must be made in writing by the Department Chair or Division Manager to the Staff
Services Housing Supervisor. Extension requests beyond two years must first be approved by the
Deputy Director for Science and Technology.
- Newly appointed scientific and professional staff members and
Research Associates with accompanying family members may be furnished
with family accommodations for up to three months from the date of
arrival to begin work.
- Single individuals in the above categories, on arrival to begin
work, may be furnished with dormitory accommodations for up to one year,
or efficiency apartments for up to three months.
- Visiting Scientists, Collaborators and Guests may be furnished with
on-site accommodations. Accommodations provided will be as described in
A or B above for up to one year, subject to the Department Chair's
- Collaborators and Guests who visit the Laboratory intermittently may be
furnished with a dormitory room. Other types of accommodations may be assigned
to those in these categories when accompanied by their families, with the
approval of the Department Chair required if the period of residence is a month
- Junior Research Associates may be furnished on-site accommodations for the
term of appointment, subject to the Department Chair's approval and not to exceed
two years. The type of accommodations will be described in A or B above.
- Student Collaborators may be furnished with dormitory accommodations for the
term of appointment.
- Personnel assigned on-call duties by a Department Chair may be furnished
with on-site accommodations for the duration of their on-call status.
- Facility User Teams, which include senior staff, students and technicians
designated by, and approved for on-site housing by a Department Chair, may be
assigned family-type accommodations up to two years in accordance with the BNL
regulations for On-site Team Housing-Designated User Facilities. Any requests for
extensions beyond two years must be approved by the Deputy Director for Science
- Trustees, visiting committee members, speakers consultants, conference
attendees and others temporarily at the site for an activity related to BNL,
BSA or DOE may be furnished with on-site accommodations in the Guest House,
family units, or dormitories as available in that order.
- On a space available basis, with department approval, housing may be assigned to employees
having an urgent, short-term requirement for temporary accommodations.
Assignments in this category will not exceed ninety days nor will housing
be provided during the months of June, July and August.
- Use of the Brookhaven Energy House and the Danish House is assigned by the
- Units should be left in a clean and neat condition, ready for next
tenant's occupancy. If the unit is not left in this condition, a
cleaning fee of $200 will be applied. Also tenants will be liable for
the repairs of any damages to the unit, furnishings, or appliances.
- Take extra care when cooking!
- Short-term reservations (1-14 days) must be cancelled no
later than 6:00 pm the day of arrival to avoid a one night's no-show. No-shows
will not be held, and will automatically be cancelled the following day.
- Long term reservations (15 days or more) require changes to
be made two week's prior to the arrival/departure date. Cancellations or major
changes which affect long-term reservations that are not communicated within this
time period will result in a $500 charge.
- All change requests must now be made by e-mail to
Those holding conferences on-site must have their attendee’s housing manifest to the
Housing Office fourteen days prior to the start of the conference. After that time, rooms
will be released and attendees will be provided housing on a first-come, first-served basis.
Due to limited space in the dormitories and apartments, only Guest House rooms can
be provided for conferences during June, July, and August.
Tenants are responsible for:
- Reasonable care for the unit occupied and the furnishings therein. Tenants may not alter the unit in any
- Reporting maintenance or safety problems promptly to the Housing Office during normal working hours or to
Security at other times.
- Tenants may not sublet any portion of the unit assigned nor permitting occupancy by any person not
authorized by the Housing Office.
- Payment of rents and telephone bills to the BNL Housing Office are due upon issuance of bills.
- Payments of all outstanding balances must be paid to the Housing Office before departure.
The Office of Educational Programs is responsible for:
- Supplying Staff Services with the pertinent information on the housing requirements of Student
Collaborators, semester students, professors and counselors.
Staff Services is responsible for:
- Management and administration of all assigned housing units; formal Housing Agreements are required when tenancy is for thirty days or
- Authorizing exceptions to the procedure set forth above when such is in the best interest of the Laboratory
or to alleviate extreme personal hardship - in consultation with department/division management and/or member
of the Directorate as appropriate.
The Deputy Director for Science & Technology is responsible for:
- Approving extensions beyond procedure.
The Office of Scientific Personnel is responsible for:
- Supplying Staff Services with the pertinent information concerning the housing requirements of new