NSLS ESH Highlight #5
Environmental, Safety and Health Reminders
Editor: R. Casey
Over time, important safety procedures can be forgotten. This bulletin is meant to
remind you of some very basic safety concerns and what you should do.
1. TLD RADIATION BADGES:
- Always wear your badge whenever you are in a Controlled Area, i.e. the VUV
and X-Ray Experimental Floors.
- On monthly badge exchange days, place your badge on your board for exchange. If you are late, place
your badge in the boards returned badge bucket when picking up your new badge.
- Report a lost or damaged badge immediately to the RCT Representative at x2593.
2. BLOSA (Beam Line Operations and Safety Awareness):
- All new users must be trained to operate safely at your beamline and within the NSLS.
- BLOSA training must be documented and signed documents sent to User Administration.
- Building Fire Alarm Bells:
Evacuate the building immediately by the nearest safe exit. Report to the front lawn of near the NSLS main entrance.
- Site Sirens:
Continuous alarm for at least 5 minutes - gather in NSLS lobby and await instructions.
Intermittent alarm for at least 5 minutes - evacuate site immediately.
4. LIQUID NITROGEN FILL STATION:
- Dewars must be continuously attended during filling.
- Do not let dewars overflow.
- Wear proper eye and hand protection.
5. TIER I SAFETY INSPECTIONS:
- Local Area Safety Representatives and Beamline Local Contacts should complete all Corrective Actions within
2 weeks of notification unless a longer plan has been agreed upon with John Aloi.
- All NSLS buildings are Non-Smoking Areas.