Working at CFN
- Arrival & Departure
- Reports & Publications
- Acknowledging Use of CFN Facilities
- Data Management
- The Guide to Brookhaven
- Operations Plan
- Experimental Safety Reviews (ESR)
- COSA Training
- Hours of Operation
- Laser System Qualification
- Transport of Hazarous Materials
- Vendor Registration (PDF)
- News & Events
Multiprobe Surface Analysis System - UHV/STM/XPS/UPS/ISS/LEED/TPD
Surface structural characterization:
- Scanning tunneling microscope (Omicron VT- STM -XA 650 ) for imaging surface structures with atomic resolution at variable surface temperatures from RT to 500 K
- Low energy electron diffraction (LEED) for analysis of surface structures of single-crystalline
Surface chemical composition and electronic state characterization:
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) for analysis of surface elemental compositions, their relative concentrations (top surface 1–10 nm usually), chemical or electronic states of each surface elements, and depth profiling of elemental compositions from the original surfaces.
- Ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy (UPS) for valence band acquisitions and electronic work function measurements.
- Ion scattering spectroscopy (ISS) for detection of outermost layer of surface elements and relative coverage determination of given elements.
- Temperature programmed desorption (TPD) for observing thermal desorbed molecules from a surface to determine kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of desorption processes or decomposition reactions.
UHV in-situ sample preparation and nanostructure fabrication:
- Ar+ ion sputtering and thermal annealing for cleaning surfaces
- vapor deposition of metals, gases and liquids at substrate temperature from 90K to 1100 K, and Quartz Microbalance for nanostructure fabrications.
Manufacturer: Hybrid Omicron-SPECS