Working at CFN
- Arrival & Departure
- Reports & Publications
- Acknowledging Use of CFN Facilities
- Data Management
- The Guide to Brookhaven
- Operations Plan
- Experimental Safety Reviews (ESR)
- COSA Training
- Hours of Operation
- Laser System Qualification
- Transport of Hazardous Materials
- Vendor Registration (PDF)
- News & Events
JEOL JEM2100F Transmission Electron Microscope» Electron Microscopy Facility
The JEOL 2100F is a versatile general user field emission transmission electron microscope suitable for high-resolution imaging, Z-contrast imaging and offering chemical analysis capabilities. It can be operated at variable voltages between 80-200 kV both in scanning transmission and transmission electron microscopy mode (STEM/TEM). It is equipped with a Schottky field-emitter and two exchangeable objective-lens pole-pieces (an ultra high-resolution pole-piece with a 0.19 nm point-to-point resolution allowing ±20° sample tilt, and a high-resolution pole-piece with a 0.23 nm point-to-point resolution and ±30° sample tilt).
- Energy dispersive x-ray spectrometer (EDS, Oxford Energy TEM 250) with single spectra, linescan and mapping capabilities is available for chemical analysis. The smallest probe size is 0.2nm.
- Electron energy-loss spectrometer (EELS, Gatan Tridiem) with spatial resolution 1.0ev that can be used for single spectra, line scans acquisition as well as energy filtered and spectrum imaging.
- Gatan High-Angle Annular Dark Field (Gatan 806 HAADF) detector for incoherent HAADF imaging or Z-contrast imaging in scanning TEM (STEM) mode.
- Gatan bright field and dark field detectors for STEM imaging.
- The JEOL2100F TEM is equipped with:
JEOL single tilt holder(x=30°).
- JEOL double tilt low background Be holder (±30° tilt) for imaging and analytical measurements.
- Gatan 652 double tilt heating holder (up to 1000°C).
- Gatan ULTDT double tilt ultra low temperature Liquid He cooling holder (5-20K).
- Gatan 654 single tilt straining holder.
- Gatan VTST4006 single tilt vacuum transfer holder (room temperature)
All the holders can be operated with piezo-drift compensation.
Mode of Operation
The JEOL 2100F is a user-friendly TEM. Access to the microscope is granted via the Electron Microscopy Facility user program. Users can be trained to operate the instrument upon request submitted together with their proposals. Two sessions per day are available for users on this TEM (9am - 1pm, 1pm - 5pm).